The SPYDR / Metarock Mud Skid Unit (MSU) is a fully automated fluids measurement system that provides real time mud measurements for 5 key mud properties at temperature as a standard:
- Viscosity / rheology parameters for non-Newtonian fluids (600/300/200/100/6/3 rpm readings, PV & YP of Bingham Plastic; n, K and τo values of YPL fluid; gels).
- Real-time friction factor (f).
- Critical Reynold's number (Recritical, transition from laminar to turbulent flow).
- Density (pressurized).
- Oil/water ratio for non-aqueous fluids (OBM & SBM).
- Temperature control up to 250°F
- Integration with EDR system (OPC, WITSML, MODBUS etc.)
- Automated self-cleaning
- Remote support and calibration
- Remote operational and health monitoring
- User-friendly operations & minimal maintenance
Technical benefits of real time mud measurements:
- RT diagnosis of adverse mud properties and mud contamination events such as excessive LGS loading, brine/oil kicks, over-/under-treatment of the mud with chemicals.
- RT drilling optimization by optimizing pressure drops across bits and motors, optimizing HSI at the bit, etc.
- RT mud weight / ECD / drilling margin management, by allowing accurate hydraulic simulations of ECD within the drilling margin based on real-time fluid input parameters.
- RT input in MPD control systems, allowing more accurate hydraulics modeling and associated MPD control.
- RT avoidance of mud-related non-productive time (NPT) and trouble costs associated with lost circulation, hole cleaning and pack-off problems, and other fluids-related issues.
- Eliminating HSE concerns with manual measurements, eliminating high-pressure/high-temperature manual testing, working in a slippery environment, etc.
Operation savings and value creation:
- Savings on avoidance of unnecessary / excess chemical mud treatment and dilution.
- Efficiency gain with ROP increase from improved hydraulics.
- Efficiency gain from fluids-related non-productive time (NPT) and trouble cost avoidance.
- Efficiency gain from novel ways of working for the mud engineer.
- API/HPHT filtrate loss
- Solids content (LGS & HGS)
- Chlorides, invert salinity
- Other sensors (pH, conductivity & emulsion stability)
- RT Hydraulics / ECD modeling (SPYDR real-time hydraulics software)